Saturday, August 24, 2013

     One of the reasons I like to read so much is the wonderful ways people express things, describe things, put words on feelings. Many times, I write them down. Here are some excerpts I recorded in May 2013 from Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry. 

"I sit and let the quiet come to me. It doesn't come right away. I have to quiet myself before I can hear the quiet of the place, and a car passing along the road or an airplane flying over makes it harder. But I listen and wait, and at last it comes."
"Of all the times with the children, those are the ones I love best to remember, when they were still young enough to live free in their imagination."
"I began to trust the world again, not to give me what I wanted, for I saw that it could not be trusted to do that, but to give unforseen goods and pleasures that I had not thought to want."
"Living without expectations is hard but, when you can do it, good. Living without hope is harder, and that is bad. You have got to have hope, and you musn't shirk it. You must not let your hope turn into expectation. But whatever you hope, you will find out that you can't bargain with your life on your own terms. It is always going to be proving itself worse or better than you hoped."  
"The light that had lighted us into this world was lighting us through it. We loved each other and lived right on. We suffered the thoughts of the night and at dawn woke up and went back to work. The world that so often had disappointed us and made us sorrowful sometimes made us happy by surprise."
"You think winter will never end, and then, when you don't expect it, when you have almost forgotten it, warmth comes and a different light. The wildflowers bloom...the pastures turn green...and the leaves come."
"Oftentimes after it no longer matters whether things are clear or not, they become clear."
"Most people now are looking for a 'better place', which means that a lot of them will end up in a worse one. There in no 'better place' than this, not in this world. And it is the place we've got, and our love for it and our keeping of it, that this world is joined to heaven."
"Everybody's talking about something better. The important thing is to feel good and be proud of what you got, don't matter if it ain't nothin' but a log pen."
"I gnaw again the old bones of the fear of what is to come. Finally, as a gift, as a mercy, I remember to pray, 'Thy will be done', and then again I am free and can go to sleep."
"When you have gone too far, as I think he did, the only mending is to come home."

No comments:

Post a Comment