Sunday, September 22, 2013

      Fall comes ever so slowly to South Texas. Cooler temperatures, a breeze in the air, books and coffee pot in hand heading out to the guesthouse porch...a delightful half hour or so, then here comes the mosquitos, the breeze is no more, shedding my leggings, back into the house I go. At least I got a short walk in this morning before church when it was the coolest time of the day. Upon my return home, walking onto my front porch, I heard the noise of dropping acorns from the oak tree nearby. The continual sound which was a little bit different caused me to take notice. I went back to look up into the tree to discover a squirrel busily eating away at a big acorn. Pieces of the shell were falling to the ground as he gnawed on his treasure. Yes! Fall is really coming to my patch of the world.                              
     Pumpkins are for sale at the local grocery store. I'm tempted, but it's too early. My granddaughter announced that snow was on it's way when she felt the first change in the air and noticed the clouds moving across the blue sky. I did add a few leaves from past Fall seasons in Kentucky, North Carolina and even England to my heart garland that has graced my fireplace mantle since February's Valentine's Day. I liked it so much that I've kept it right where it is. That's the extent of hints of the approaching season around here. Nonetheless, today IS officially the first day of Fall. We are more than ready for you. Come on in and make yourself at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment